How to Become a Drug Take-Back Site

How to Become a Drug Take-Back Site

You can help combat the opioid epidemic by applying to participate in the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s Medical Disposal Program, registering your pharmacy to be a DEA authorized collector, and/or signing up to be a part of NCPA’s Dispose My Meds™ program.

  • To participate in KDHE’s program, simply fill out the application and send to KDHE’s Bureau of Waste Management address listed on the form.
  • To register as a DEA authorized collector, you must login to their site with your DEA Number and follow the steps to obtain authorization to be a collector.
  • To participate in NCPA’s Dispose My Meds™ program (must be an NCPA member), login to NCPA’s site where you can then sign up for the program and order Sharps TAKEAWAY™ boxes or envelopes – at a discount to NCPA members. You can also purchase Sharps MedSafes of various sizes instead of boxes or envelopes.

Should you choose to participate, KDHE, the DEA, and NCPA have marketing materials and resources for you and your patients to consider when participating in the program – such as what types of medications are and are not acceptable for disposal, best practices, etc.

Signing up through the DEA will also allow you to participate in their National Prescription Drug Take Back Day which occurs twice a year.

Signing up to be a take-back site can help keep your patients’ medicines out of the wrong hands and by participating in these programs, your pharmacy will become an even greater resource for your patients.